Pages

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Lot of 20 "BEST MOM EVER" cards using Deconstructed Sketch #191 *measurements & tips




 What fun these cards were to make.  I wiped out an entire brand new 6 x 6 paper pad from Simple Stories SN@P! Color Vibe 2. and ended up with 20 cards.  16 using a sketch and the other four using scraps.

Here are all the cards.




MEASUREMENTS:

card base 8 1/2" x 11" scored at 4 1/4"

black layer: 4 1/8" x 5 3/8"
white 4" x 5 1/4"

black 3 7/8" 
pattern: 3 3/4" x 5 1/4  *this piece gets cut at an angle **TIP w/photo below on cutting these pieces

banners:
black 1 5/8" x 4"  *I punched the ends and then trimmed the banner to be 3 3/4"
pattern: 1 1/2" x  *these pieces when cut from the paper pad were 6" long.  I punched the ends and trimmed the piece to be 3 5/8"

strip:
black:  1 5/8" x 4 1/8"
pattern:  1 1/2" x 4"

SUPPLIES:
card stock: black, white
pattern paper: Simple Stories SN@P! Color Vibe 2
sentiment is one I typed up in Word and printed out using laserjet printer
accessories:  Scor-Pal, MFT Pinked Edge Circle Dies, Circle Punch, Photo Corner Punch and Foam Tape




This is the sketch I used for the cards. It's from The Deconstructed Sketch #191:



 Recently I have been asked in emails or comments, about some of the ways I do things when I am making cards and I thought I'd share them here in photos. Hope this answers some of the questions that I was asked.  If there is something I can help someone with, please comment or email me.

 The way I put adhesive on circle shaped items is to do an X and then another X.  I hope it shows up in the picture how it ends up looking like.


This picture shows how I lined up the pieces to get the angled cut.  I had the lower corner on the 1/2" line and the upper on the 1 1/4" line.



I was asked about how adhere strips onto a piece of card stock.  I put adhesive on the backs of the strips and then put the piece of card stock into the corner of my Scor-Pal and then put them onto the piece one at a time. As I am laying on the strips after the first one.. you can almost fit it next to the other like a puzzle.



These photos show how I did the black layer on the angled pieces.  I cut an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of black into two long pieces that were 3 7/8" x 11" and adhered one angled cut piece at each end.


I then put the piece in my trimmer and cut the pieces leaving a small border.


This is what I ended up with.



I was asked about the foam tape I use and how much I put some some pieces.  I have been making a lot of the Mom cards recently and have been using the foam tape on the backs of those pieces.  I cut about a 2" piece off the foam tape ~ which I buy from Amazon.

 Then I cut up the middle of that piece, but not cutting all the way through at the end.

I then cut it in half and have the two loose pieces and the two at the top which are barely connected, they tear apart very easily. I keep them together so that it's easier for me to hold all four pieces on my fingers.


This is the layout for the foam tape I use on all the circles.





thanks for looking ~

have a great airborne day!
God Bless All Our Military.. each and every one of them

2 comments:

Paula K. said...

thanks for all your tips and measurements, I was wondering if you are making these cards for your husband's group to send home?

Paula K.

Jen Shults said...

Great cards! I'm impressed you were able to get so many cards out of one pad of paper! That's awesome!! Thanks for joining us for DS191.