Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Making 6 "MERRY CHRISTMAS" cards for the month of April.. Details/Measurements Included



I made the card above last night... Merry Christmas Card...    today I made 6 more..  here is how I did it.

This is going to be a long post..   Lots of pictures.   


Here is the sketch I used ~ which happens to be an OWH #218 Sketch:


First I cut all my layers..   After I make one card that I like and want to make more, I always start cutting all the layers.  I knew I had a lot to do this afternoon and so I opted to make just 6, but I usually make at least 12-20 more more.. I usually always use these same steps and find the cards get done rather quickly.


Just a tip..  when I was cutting the strips..  after I've cut them on the short side.. I put several of them in the trimmer and make one cut to cut them on the long side.  I don't always do this, because sometimes I forget.. but today I remembered.


After cutting everything..  I started with my layers.. and first thing is I score all my card bases.   I use a Scor-Pal.  I have three of these..  two large size ones.. a first edition and then the second.. and my mother bought me this Scor-Buddy and I have made thousands upon thousands of scores with this baby..  my most used tool beside my trimmer and ATG.   If you don't have one of these... I highly recommend getting one. 


I am going to emboss all the shimmery white layers using a Tim Holtz Snow Flurries embossing folder.


I do two at a time..  saves me time and they both emboss nicely.

Just wanted to share a tip...   I recently purchased a Magnetic Platform and removed the top tab off the platform I already owned.. now when I want to use embossing folders, no need to flip the top layer.. just put a clear plate on it, your embossing folder and another clear plate..  saves me so much time.  



 Since there is a lot of nooks and crannies.. I put adhesive around the outer edges and usually a big X in the middle.


Tip.. just wanted to mention this one blue layer..  I had either punched or die cut a circle out of a piece of it and realized I could use it for a layer on one of the cards because there was enough room between the circle edge and the edge of the card stock..  I only put adhesive around the outside of the shimmery layer that went on this one.. I put some adhesive on the blue layer.  This way I didn't have adhesive sticking out the back of the shimmery layer and sticking to everything.  I do this quite often.. especially if my card had a punched out shape or die cut shape and it's in the same color as a layer that will be covered up.  



I was asked the other day how I get my layers straight..   I hold the sides with my fingers.. lining up the bottom and then glancing to see that the top is the same.. then I lay the layer down.. making sure to push down on the left and right side because my fingers can cause the paper to curve a little bit.  


When I am putting adhesive on the layers.. I put it on either all of them at one time.. or if I am making a whole bunch, I usually do them 5-10 at a time..  this makes putting the layers together go much more faster.




Next I stamped all my sentiments onto the shimmery white strips.  I always lay a piece of dark card stock underneath any white layers I am stamping.




I am going to punch the ends of the two layers to make the banner end.. I line up the two layers and punch them at once.. so that they line up when I slide the white layer over a little bit after punching.



After I punched the ends..  I trimmed some of the white layer off.. then adhered it to the blue strip. I then used scissors to trim some off the end.


here is what the sentiment strip looks like after stamping, punching and trimming.


After I have got all my layers together.. it's time to assemble the cards:



First I adhere the green swirly layered piece on the front of the embossed layer, near the bottom of the layer.  I burnish (rub on it) to make sure it sticks together good.



I put my favorite thing in the crafting world on the back of the square panel..  Dimensionals!!  These happen to be ones from Stampin' UP!  love them things!!!



Then I put the square layer on the card.. more to the right side on the card front.



I move on to the sentiment layers..  I put a dimensional on the banner end and adhesive on the other.



Putting it on the card front..



Next I punch all three holes for the brads.. I punch the hole in the center first and then to the left and right.. usually right then left.



Putting three brads in the holes and adhering the card front to the card base.



and all the cards are complete.       I hope you give it a try.. using any sketch and theme for some cards.




SUPPLIES:

card stock:  Shimmer White, Cherry Cobbler and Midnight Muse
pattern paper:  American Crafts Red Sleigh (scored at Tuesday Morning)
ink:  Cherry Cobbler
stamps:  MFT Christmas
accessories:  Scor-Pal, Tim Holtz Embossing Folder Snow Flurries, Photo Corner Punch, Hole Punch, Red Brads and Dimensionals.


thanks for looking ~



have a great airborne day!
God Bless All Our Military.. each and every one of them

5 comments:

Tommi said...

Thanks for taking the time to describe your process in detail and with pictures. Can you further explain the removal of the top tab on the old platform and how it is used with your magnetic platform? I also find the flipping to be a time drag and annoying.

Jenny said...

I love your tip about using the corner punch to make your banners! Going off to find one now. (PS- I loved this sketch too!)

JD/ Jill said...

Great tutorial, thank you for sharing.

Erika said...

Lots of great tips! Why didn't I think to emboss more than one paper at a time? Duh! Thanks!

Gail S. said...

Adorable cards. Thanks for all the measurements and details.